As with many aspects of pipe smoking, there are several methods. I‘ll give here the one that is probably the most popular (I use it!). Here it is in steps:
1. Make sure that there are no little "foreign bodies", such as pieces of stem or wood, in the tobacco.
2. Place enough tobacco into the bowl till it‘s overflowing.
3. Press down the tobacco, with no pressure whatsoever at this stage (optional check the draw).
4. Place enough tobacco into the bowl till it‘s overflowing (Repeat # 2).
5. This time apply a bit of pressure to cause the first and the second layers of tobacco to make contact (optional check the draw).
6. Place enough tobacco into the bowl till it‘s overflowing (Repeat # 2).
7. Here apply more pressure than in #5.
8. Check the draw (a must, this time). If it‘s fine, you‘re set; if not, empty the pipe and start over (you won‘t regret it).
9. Optional, you may loosen up a bit the uppermost layer of tobacco so that it accepts the flame better. If there is still room after Step #7, the you can add just a bit of loose tobacco.
The tobacco should be packed tightly enough to let the air go through with no difficulty and yet elastic. It should feel springy when you press it in the bowl. Good packing is the secret to enjoyable smoking. Don‘t get impatient: Empty the pipe and start over as many times as needed to get it packed right.
Prossimo articolo: Why should I smoke a pipe instead of cigarettes or cigars?